A gourmet homemade version of this classic. Mix 35% cream with L’Ancêtre aged cheddar, the result is guaranteed.
Aged Cheddar Macaroni
- Serving 8-10 portions
- Preparation 30 min
- Cooking 40-45 min
|1 L (4 cups)||macaroni (elbows)|
|90 ml (6 tbsp)||L’Ancêtre butter|
|1 L (4 cups)||L’Ancêtre 3-year aged or extra sharp cheddar|
|90 ml (6 tbsp)||unbleached flour|
|1,25 L (5 cups)||milk|
|500 ml (2 cups)||35% cream|
|30 ml (2 tbsp)||dried onion flakes|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|Freshly grated Nutmeg, to taste|
|Garlic powder to taste|
- In a large pan with boiling salted water, cook pasta no more than 5 minutes it should be al dente. Drain immediately, then pour pasta into a large Pyrex baking pan. Set aside.
- In medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. then sprinkle the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring. Gradually add milk and cream while whisking. Reduce heat, then season generously with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- Simmer 7-8 minutes, stirring, or until the sauce is smooth. this sauce over the pasta, then add the onion flakes and half the cheddar. Mix well, and top with remaining cheese.
- Set aside 30 minutes before baking in a preheated oven at 205 °C (400° F), for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot. If you prepare this recipe in advance, do the final baking at the last minute and keep the dish covered in refrigerator.
Minimum wait time : 30 minutes
Advance Preparation : 24 hours
To accompany your recipe
This recipe goes perfectly with an Aromatic and supple wine.
Discover the best pairings for the Aged Cheddar Macaroni on the SAQ website!
© Société des alcools du Québec